Gluten Free Gingerbread
- 1⅔ cups gluten free All purpose Flour (add 3/4 tsp xanthan if your mix doesn't include it)
- 1¼ teaspoons gluten free baking soda
- 2½ teaspoons gluten free pure ground ginger
- 1¾ teaspoons gluten free pure cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar or 1/4 cup Truvia Stevia Baking blend
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup plain unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup oil of choice
- ½ cup boiling water (as needed)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Position rack in center of oven. Lightly grease a 8x8-inch square cake pan with cooking spray.
2. Place flour, baking soda, xanthan gum(if it's not in your mix), ginger, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl of electric mixer and mix at low speed until thoroughly combined.
3. Add egg, sugar, molasses, applesauce and oil and mix until smooth, about 1 minute. Pour 1/2 of the boiling water over batter and mix until smooth, about 30 seconds. Add more if it's too thick until you have a smooth batter
4. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in center of preheated oven for 35 minutes or until top springs back when touched and a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
5. Cool cake in pan on a rack for 5 minutes. Sift confectioner’s sugar over cake or top with a GF whipped topping.
All purpose flour mix -
1 1/4 C (170 g) brown rice flour
1 1/4 C (205 g) white rice flour
1 C (120 g) tapioca flour
1 C (165 g) sweet rice flour
2 scant tsp. xanthan gum
Read your labels or call the company to be sure your ingredients are Gluten Free
Sift all flours together well and store excess in the fridge. Use as needed for recipe.
This recipe linked to the Tasty Alternative!!