These were my very first brownies! I will be updating this recipe soon and adding more healthy options!
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can black beans or any cooked beans, rinsed and drained well
- 3 egg whites or see flax replacer note*
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup Gluten Free (not special dark) cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 teaspoon GF baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon GF pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup or coconut palm sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh warm espresso or 1 1/2 tsp dry instant espresso. I use Starbucks
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate, chopped or any GF dark chocolate chips, more if you wish
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts-opt
- Peanut butter swirl topping- opt, see recipe below
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease or spray an 8x10 inch baking dish.
- Combine all of the ingredients, except chips and nuts, in a large food processor; blend until smooth. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the chocolate chips, nuts over the top of the mixture and press in slightly.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the top is dry and the edges start to pull away from the sides of the pan, about 35-40 minutes or until firm but don't overcook.
- *Replacer recipe and instructions- 1/2 cup water2 tablespoons flax seed, ground into a fine meal, almost a powder in blender2 tablespoons egg replacer powder - Combine the water and ground flax seeds in a bowl and let them soak while you assemble the other ingredients. Place the soaked mixture into your food processor and process until the mixture is gloppy, somewhat like egg whites. Add the egg replacer and beat until thick and foamy.
- Peanut Butter Swirl-opt 1/3 cup Peanut Butter, 1 tablespoon agave or honey, pinch of salt, dash of pure vanilla. Drops in dollops on top of brownie dough and pull a knife back and forth to make swirls. Cook as instructed above.
- They taste even better with a dollop of Sugar Free Cool Whip on top. NOTE: These need to be refrigerated.