Skinny Gluten Free "Fabulous Florida" Frittata
I use whatever is in the fridge and it's always wonderful. Don't get crazy and pile up the pan too high or it won't cook through, but be creative!
We make gluten free frittatas at least once a week and the leftovers are just as good reheated. Sometimes I stir in rice but most of the time I just fill it up with veggies.
You can use cooked chicken, hamburger, pepperoni, steak or ground sausage- the options are endless! Make sure you use a big heavy pan that can go in the oven.
This recipe was featured on Gluten-Free Wednesday's
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped veggies, mushrooms, green peppers, zucchini- whatever you have on hand!
- 2 cups fresh washed raw spinach or 2 big hand fulls or try chopped collard greens!
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- salt and pepper and seasonings to taste
- 9 large eggs
- 1/3 cup plain fat free yogurt or milk of your choice
- 1 cup shredded low fat Cheddar or mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan, Romano, or Feta cheese
- 1 cup cooked meat, chopped-opt
Instructions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Heat olive oil in a large cast iron skillet or other oven safe skillet over medium heat.
- Saute the onions, mushrooms or other veggies on until just tender- apx 5-7 min, then mix in garlic.
- Season with salt and pepper and additional seasonings, if using. We like a salt free Cajun spice mix.
- Lay spinach on top and simmer for a few minutes until spinach is slightly wilted.
- In a medium bowl, beat together eggs and yogurt and Parmesan. Add your seasonings. Pour into the skillet over the vegetables. The eggs should cover the filling and then press it down a bit with your spatula. Sprinkle with Cheddar cheese.
- Bake in 350 oven for 15-20 minutes, or until eggs are just firm, puffed up and edges are slightly brown.