I made this last night for the first time (disregard the date! I don't know how to reset my camera) lol! and it was one of the best meals we've had in a long time!! I used frozen skinless and boneless Tilapia filets from Aldi defrosted gently in the microwave.
Gluten Free Corn Chex Fish and Chips-revised with Baked option!
- 2 cups Corn Chex or GF bread crumbs/crackers
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon gluten free garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 2 eggs beaten with a dash of milk
- 3-4 tablespoons canola oil
- 6 (4 ounce) tilapia fillets
Directions for Fried:
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Prepare chips- I used Ore Ida
- Meanwhile, prepare the fish: Place Corn Chex, Parmesan, garlic powder in food processor and pulse until fine.
- Put crumbs on a plate and beaten egg mixture in another shallow bowl
- Dip or soak fish in egg and then press them into crumbs to coat
- Transfer to a plate and season
- Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium high heat. Add oil and when it's hot, add the fish, cook for 3-4 min or until brown on each side.
- Then slide the skillet into the oven (this is optional depending on the thickness of your fish)
- Bake apx 5 min. or until fish flakes easily with fork.
- Serve with ketchup or vinegar!
- Also great in a sandwich with lettuce and tomato.
- Lately, I've been making this in the oven and love it. Here's what I do
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray
- Defrost your Tilapia filets
- Take a few slices of gluten free bread or use the Chex cereal. Grind finely with parmesan and spices in your food processor. I like Old Bay seasoning, garlic and fresh ground pepper
- Pour crumbs onto a large plate.
- Instead of egg I melted a stick of butter in a large bowl
- Dip the filets in the butter and then lay them into the crumbs, turn and coat the other side
- Put them on the baking sheet and bake for apx 10 minutes or until lightly browned and easy to flake.