Easy Gluten Free Homemade Mushroom Soup Recipe
- 16 ounces fresh sliced white or Baby Portabello mushrooms- I used two small cartons
- 1/4 cup finely diced sweet onions
- 1 finely minced garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon olive oil- I used Basil infused
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 tablespoons gluten-free sweet rice flour, or more depending on how thick you want your soup. You can also use GF all purpose flour. Cornstarch works too, but you won't get the same texture to your soup. Instead of making a roux, mix cornstarch with a little water until there are no more lumps and add slowly stirring until thickened.
- 2 cups low sodium or homemade gluten-free chicken broth
- 2 cups 2% milk or dairy free subsitute
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon spices of choice- I use Costco's Organic No Salt
- Garnish with fresh sliced basil (optional)
- Saute mushrooms, onions and garlic with butter/olive oil in a 3 quart saucepan over medium low heat for about 10 minutes or until softened and lightly browned.
- Sprinkle gluten-free sweet rice flour over the vegetables and stir to blend the rice flour into the mixture. Continue to cook on medium low while stirring for 1-2 minutes.
- Gradually stir in gluten-free chicken broth and stir to blend and remove any lumps.
- Add milk and continue to cook over medium heat until soup thickens and mushrooms are done.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
Gluten Free Cream of Mushroom Sauce ( a thicker and more condensed version for casseroles)
Just follow the recipe above and reduce the amount of liquids so that the sauce is much thicker. Use with any casserole instead of condensed soup.