Gluten Free Coconut Curried Rice and Quinoa
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 red or yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 3 teaspoons Gluten Free Garam Masala or Gluten Free Curry powder- to taste
- 1/2 cup long-grain brown rice
- 1 cup quinoa (for low carb I delete the rice)
- 1 can low fat gluten free coconut milk
- 1/4 cup raisins-opt
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 pounds peeled and deveined large shrimp or chopped cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup fresh basil or cilantro or scallions
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium low heat. Add the onion and peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and curry powder and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 2 minutes.
- Add the rice, quinoa, 2 1/2 cups water and ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes or until rice is tender and water absorbed.
- Season the shrimp with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Nestle them in the partially cooked rice. Cover and cook until the shrimp are opaque throughout, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Fold in the basil or cilantro and coconut milk. Season with salt and pepper, scallions.
- Serve warm or cold