|Photo courtesy of Winehouse|
Gluten Free Almond Orange Cake
- 3 small whole oranges with peel
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup coconut palm sugar or 1/2 cup honey. You could also try erythritol.
- 1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
- 3 cups finely ground raw almonds (almond meal flour) grind to flour, sift and regrind
- Place the oranges in a large saucepan, and add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, and boil for 2 hours over medium heat. Check occasionally to make sure they do not boil dry. Allow the oranges to cool, then cut them open and remove the seeds. Process in a blender or food processor to a coarse pulp.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- Grease a 10 inch round cake pan. Dust with a little rice flour or cornstarch.
- In a large bowl, whip eggs and sugar together using an electric mixer until thick and pale, about 10 minutes. Use a whisk attachment if available.
- Mix in baking powder. Stir in the pureed oranges. Gently fold in almond meal, pour batter into the prepared pan. Batter should be thick
- Bake for 50 minutes, or until a small knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool in the pan. Tap out onto a serving plate when cool.
- The glaze- To make the orange syrup, use a zester to remove the rind from one orange. Juice orange and set aside.
- Place rind in a saucepan of boiling water and cook for 5 minutes or until soft. Drain. Return to pan with orange juice and 3/4 cup honey or sugar free alternative of your choice. Place over low heat and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until the sugar dissolves and the syrup thickens.
- Turn cake onto a serving plate. Use a skewer to gently prick the top. Spoon on a little syrup. Cut into wedges to serve
- Best used the first day or keep in the fridge. Enjoy!!