Espresso really brings out the chocolate flavor but you can skip it if you're not a fan. I made these for a client and of course I had to taste test some too...ahhh...the joys of baking!! :)
Gluten Free Almond Espresso Brownies
- 9 tablespoons GF cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup coconut oil, softened
- 1 cup organic cane or coconut palm light brown sugar (not packed)
- 1 cup almond meal- I grind it in my coffee mill
- 1 cup gluten free brown rice flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites, beaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup warm espresso- really kicks up the flavor and makes the brownies chewier but you can sub milk or almond milk
- 1/2 cup GF Chocolate chips
- 1 cup nuts chopped, opt
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease a 10x10-inch square baking pan
- In a mixing bowl whisk together the brown sugar, almond meal, brown rice flour, salt and baking soda and cocoa. Make a well in the center and add the beaten eggs, vanilla extract and coconut oil. Stir until the batter begins to come together. Add espresso and stir until it becomes smooth and glossy.
- Stir in the nuts, spread the batter into the prepared baking pan. Even out the batter with a silicone spatula.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips on the top and press in slightly. Bake apx 30 min or until edges start to dry and middle is set. Don't overcook. Enjoy!!