Awesome Gluten Free Clam Chowder Recipe, lower calories
|No matter what the season, Clam Chowder hits the spot!|
Easy on your budget and fancy to boot! I serve this to company with a big green salad and my Gluten Free Millet French Bread Baguettes. It's always a hit!
Awesome Gluten Free Clam Chowder
Makes 4 large servings
- 1/2 pound gluten free, nitrate free bacon or turkey bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced-opt
- 3 stalks of celery, diced
- 5 medium red potatoes, washed and diced (or 3 russet) or for low carb use cauliflower
- 3 cans chopped clams in clam juice
- 4 cups of 2 % milk (I like enough milk in to fill the pot 1/2 way)
- 1 tablespoon butter, opt
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay
- fresh parsley stems removed and chopped
- 4+ tablespoons cornstarch (use more if you like your chowder thick)
- Chop the bacon and fry slowly until crisp in a large heavy pot or for lower calorie, use turkey bacon fried with a little olive oil.
- Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
- Drain most of the grease from the pot- Reserve a little of the grease in the pan.
- Add diced potatoes, onion and celery and saute until tender.
- Add the garlic to the pan. Saute on low for 2 min or so
- Add the juice from 3 cans of chopped clams to the pot while scraping up the bits, (Reserve clams for later)
- Add a little water, if needed, to barely cover the potatoes and cook for 6-8 min or until almost tender.
- Now add the milk, butter, parsley, clams, bacon and seasonings.
- Stir the cornstarch in a small bowl with little more milk until smooth.
- Slowly add cornstarch mixture to your simmering soup,stirring until the soup thickens. You can add more depending on how thick you like your chowder.
- Simmer until the flavors come together and the potatoes finish cooking.