My grandson and I adore apples and making a homemade gluten-free galette is a fun project for us to do together today. Galettes are surprisingly easy, especially when you have a great helper and elegant enough to impress your company.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, I may be compensated for purchases made through these links. For more information, click here.
Click to see at Amazon! but a few pulses in a food processor works great too.
Gluten Free Apple Galette from Skinny GF Chef
Author- Ali Williams
- For the Crust
- 1 cup white rice flour
- 1/4 cup sweet rice flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick butter, cut into small cubes and pop in freezer to chill
- 3 tablespoons gluten-free vegetable shortening, well chilled
- 1/4 cup ice water (or less)
- For the Filling
- 3 large tart organic apples like Granny Smith, peeled, cored and sliced into 1/4-inch slices (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup palm sugar (or sugar-free substitute)
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Extra granulated sugar for sprinkling
The Crust: In the bowl of a food processor, combine white rice flour, sweet rice flour, tapioca starch, granulated sugar and salt. Pulse a few times to combine.
Add butter and shortening. Pulse to combine until no large pieces of butter or shortening remain and mixture resembles crumbs, about 5 one-second pulses.
Add a little water and run food processor just until mixture comes together in a ball, about 5 seconds.
- Or do it the old fashioned way like we did- combine dry ingredients in a large bowl, cut in butter and shortening with a pastry cutter, until it looks like crumbs -don't overwork
- Add cold water a little at a time and mix quickly until mixture comes together in a ball
Pat into a round and wrap in plastic wrap. Flatten and chill, one to two hours or overnight is fine.
To Assemble: With oven rack in the middle position- preheat oven to 425°F.
Remove dough from refrigerator. Allow it to sit on the counter for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, stir apple slices and cornstarch together with a wooden spoon. Be sure all apple slices are lightly dusted with cornstarch. Add sugar, lemon juice, and ground cinnamon. Stir to combine.
Place dough onto a large piece of parchment paper. Dust the top of dough with white rice flour. Roll dough evenly into a large, but not too thin, apx 12-13 inch circle. Slide parchment and dough onto the baking sheet.
Spoon the filling into the center of crust, leaving a 3-inch border around filling. Fold dough edges up and over apple filling gently leaving the center uncovered. Seal all holes completely or you will lose your filling juices during baking. Sprinkle granulated sugar on edge of crust.
Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Bake for an additional 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling bubbles.
Remove pan from oven. Allow galette to cool on the pan before transferring to a serving plate.