It made my hubby so happy that my new gluten free blueberry pie tasted just like his old favorite! We paired it with vanilla frozen yogurt and it rocked!! Now with summer here and the temps hitting close to 100 we aren't baking or cooking much at all. I think I will put something in the crock-pot today or make a big cool salad and have a piece of pie!
1/2 cup walnuts or pecans, lightly toasted in the oven at 350 for 7 min
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup gluten free graham crackers, like Kinninnick's Gluten-free Graham Cracker Crumbs
- 1 large egg white, beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 cup honey or coconut palm sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons gluten free “minute” tapioca
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 5 cups fresh or frozen unsweetened blueberries
Streusel topping: rub together to blend and set aside
- 1/3 cup organic coconut palm sugar
- 3 tablespoons GF brown rice flour
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon gluten free ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- To prepare crust:
- Chop walnuts or pecans in a food processor. Add graham cracker crumbs and process until the mixture looks like fine crumbs. If using crumbs just stir in.
- Whisk egg white in a medium bowl until frothy. Add to the crumb mixture. Add the butter, oil and salt; pulse to combine.
- Press the mixture into the bottom and 1/2 inch up the sides of a 9-inch pie pan.
- Bake until slightly brown around the edges, about 7-10 minutes.
- To make filling and bake pie:
- Stir together 1/2 cup honey and tapioca in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in 1 teaspoon lemon zest and 1 tablespoon juice.
- Add blueberries and stir gently to mix.
- Spoon the filling into the prepared crust.
- Cover loosely with foil and set in the middle of the oven, with a baking sheet placed on the rack below to catch any drips.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until the berries are juicy and bubbling. (Frozen berries might take about 10 minutes longer.)
- Uncover the pie, sprinkle evenly with the streusel topping and bake for 12 to 15 minutes longer, or until the streusel is golden.
- Cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes, serve when cool and keep in the refrigerator, Enjoy! xx