10/9 follow up note- I haven't worked on changing this recipe yet because I LOVE them now! I found the second batch that I made that night is pretty darn perfect. I let them get a little darker brown (I forgot them for a second) and I notice that as they cooled, the darker cookies "crisped up" much better than the first batch. I put them in the fridge overnight and when I bit into the darker rolled cookie...it shattered a bit...yum!! now I'm hooked....Best of all, I calculated the calories at only 100 per cookie!!
1 1/4 cup of ground raw almond meal.
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter or coconut oil, melted.
- Grind almonds to a flour meal with some bits. The bits make a nice crunchy texture.
- I use my coffee grinder. Measure after grinding
- Beat all in a bowl by hand until visibly thickened.
- Drop by teaspoon leaving lots of room to spread.
- Bake at 375 on large greased sheet for 6-7 minutes or until brown. They will bubble like crazy, then the bubbles will flatten, and they start to brown.
- Watch carefully in the last minutes! You want a good consistent medium brown color but don't burn them.
- Makes 15 large cookies
Cool on the pan for a few minutes until they firm up a bit and then use a small sharp spatula to ease up edges and remove. Roll around a tube if you want to fill them or leave flat. We used a turkey baster! Cool well on wax paper, turning once in awhile to keep them round if you roll them. Store in a large covered container in the fridge. I'm thinking of maybe making a ricotta filling to pipe in, but they are great plain.