These gluten free Russian Tea Cakes, or Wedding Cakes are my all time favorite Christmas cookies and no one will ever know that they're gluten free!
I make them with organic unsalted butter without rBST and cane sugar so that I'm feeding my friends and family the healthiest cookie that I can make.
Some powdered sugars have additives, so read your labels carefully to insure that yours is gluten free. For those of you who don't want sugar, you can substitute with your favorite alternative or try my suggestions below.
You can find gluten free flours in most grocery stores, health food stores, Asian grocery stores or order online at Amazon!
Check out more gluten free holiday cookies recipes! What's your favorite?
Gluten Free Russian Tea Cakes
- 1 cup organic cultured butter
- ½ cup gluten free powdered cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups gluten free white rice flour
- ½ cup gluten free sweet rice flour, also called glutinous rice flour
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans or walnuts
- additional gluten free powdered sugar for rolling- see note below
- In the large bowl of your mixer, lightly cream the butter and sugar.
- Stir in vanilla.
- In another bowl, thoroughly combine flours, salt, xanthan gum and nuts.
- Add flour to butter mixture and mix just until it's all incorporated
- With your hands, form the dough into 1" balls.
- Place on ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until firm and lightly brown on the bottom
- Cool on sheet for 1 - 2 minutes.
- Remove and immediately roll in additional powdered sugar.
- Cool completely and roll again in powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup xylitol or Sucanat (It’s 100% sugar-free if you use xylitol. This technique works with regular granulated cane sugar too or coconut sugar)
- 2 tsp arrowroot or cornstarch