I did it!! Finally skillet cornbread that tastes just like what we used to make! Moist on the inside and crisp on the bottom. He loved it and I'm tickled pink. Sadly, he only got these two pieces for now. I cubed the rest, mixed it with my homemade bread and baked it all into stuffing mix for Thanksgiving. Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I am very thankful for your support and friendship. big hugs
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free and non GMO Masa Harina
- 1/2 cup gluten free white rice or sorghum flour
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum or psyllium husks
- 1/4 cup cane sugar or honey, to taste
- 1 cup of milk or make buttermilk by adding 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar to curdle
- 1 stick of butter, softened
- Whisk all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add the apple cider vinegar to the milk in a small bowl and let sit to curdle
- Rub or stir half of butter into dry ingredients.
- Put the other half of the butter into a cast iron skillet and place skillet into a 425 oven to heat for a minute or two.
- Beat the eggs and milk and add to the dry ingredients to make a thick batter. Stir until just incorporated
- Carefully pour batter into heated skillet, spread out batter evenly
- Bake until brown around edges and brown on top for 20-25 min or until a toothpick comes out clean
- Cool out of the pan if you want to keep the bottom crust crisp.