There are many versions of Pots de Creme on the web as I came to find out. Some people blend everything in the blender and then pour into pots to bake. Some heat the chocolate over a double boiler.
I really liked heating the milk just to a boil for a minute and then pouring it over the chopped chocolate, it's simple and fast. Simple and fast makes me very happy.
You can try coconut or almond milk for a dairy free alternative. And I'm sure you could use sugar free chocolate but I was happy using a very dark chocolate with mine. Dark chocolate has very little sugar and no aftertaste. Hope you enjoy!
Gluten Free Pots de Creme a la Menthe
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup gluten free chocolate chips
- 3 ounces gluten free dark chocolate mint bar, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- tiny dash salt
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 4-6 small oven proof ramekins or jars
- In a heavy bottomed sauce pan, combine the coconut milk, evaporated milk and honey
- Bring to a boil, stirring often.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs for a minute until lemon yellow and fluffy
- In another large bowl, microwave your chocolate chips and chopped chocolate for about apx 30-45 seconds or until it just starts to melt.
- Pour the boiling milk over the chocolate and whisk until all the chocolate is completely melted.
- Slowly add a few tablespoons, one at a time, of the warm chocolate to the beaten egg to temper and stir well
- Now pour the tempered egg mixture into the remaining chocolate and whisk it all thoroughly
- Fill your ramekins about 1/2 full. They will expand so leave some room
- Bake for apx 25 minutes or until the edges are done and the pudding is still moving a little — the creams will settle once they cool down.
- Place plastic wrap on top and place them in the fridge to rest for a few hours before eating.
- This recipe can be doubled.