Remember how we used to pull out a "gluten" pie crust from the freezer and make a pie in a matter of minutes with instant pudding?
Well, today I wanted to do that. Whip up a pie, without breaking the bank!
I decided to risk making it with almond meal instead of the almond flour that a lot of recipes call for. Almond flour runs about $9.00 a pound, but I hate spending that much, so I buy 4 pounds of raw almonds from Amazon Prime on Subscribe and Save. The only problem is you usually get a much more fragile product with almond meal, but look at this crust! With the addition of the psyllium husks it really held together great. It's low carb, economical, delicious and easy!
Here's the pie Gluten Free Chocolate Cream Pie with Almond Crust
Skinny Gluten Free Low Carb Almond Meal Crust
- 3 cups gluten free raw almonds, finely ground into almond meal
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon psyllium husks (find it in your health food store or click the link for Amazon. It's very economical and lasts forever), opt
- 1 egg, beaten
- dash salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar substitute, coconut palm sugar, or honey (I used baking stevia the first time and then 1/2 Truvia and 1/2 honey the second time)
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly spray a 9 inch pie plate with cooking oil
- Pulse raw almonds in your food processor or coffee grinder until you have a soft powdery meal. If you process too long it will turn to butter, so watch it carefully.
- Melt the coconut oil and butter slightly in the microwave
- In a medium bowl or food processor, mix all ingredients together thoroughly until the dough forms.
- In the pie pan, pat the dough evenly out from the middle and up the sides with your fingers. Wet fingers as necessary.
- Bake for apx 15-20 minutes or until the crust is lightly brown.
- Cool and fill with your favorite pie filling