This amazing Cajun Chicken Dirty Red Beans and Rice dish recipe is my husband's favorite. I've been making it for years and I love how fast and easy it is to make! I usually up the rice and broth little to make a big batch so that we have lots of leftovers. Just make sure your pot has room for it to expand. It's even better the next day!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can stewed tomatoes (or saute two green peppers, diced and 2 tomatoes, diced)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 5 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup uncoooked brown or white rice
- 2 1/2 cups gluten free low sodium chicken broth (I make my own)
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons of Cajun Spice Mix below or your favorite gluten free brand
- hot sauce for the table
Cajun Spice Mix -make sure your spices are gluten free
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander or lemon pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
In a large cast iron pot or pan over medium high heat
- Add bell pepper, onion, and celery to pan (if using stewed tomatoes, just saute the onion and celery now and add stewed tomatoes when tender)
- Cook 3-5 minutes or until vegetables are just tender, stirring occasionally, careful not to burn the onion.
- Add the cubed chicken and garlic, cook apx 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Add more oil and turn down the heat if needed
- Add the rice and cook for a few minutes more
- Add chicken broth, spices, stewed tomatoes, if using, and beans, simmer for a few minutes.
- Transfer to a large oven proof baking dish with a lid or bake in your iron pot
- Cover and bake for 1 1/2 hours or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. I remove the lid in the last 1/2 hour to brown. Enjoy!