What's really great is that you can make this cake with finely ground almonds or almond meal flour. Don't use blanched almond flour though, this is meant to be a rustic dense cake. I lightened it up a bit with whipped egg whites and it came out tender, moist and delicious.
Just my style and the perfect low carb birthday treat topped with fresh berries and a scoop of homemade frozen yogurt!
Gluten Free French Honey Almond Cake
- 1 1/2 cups Bob's Red Mill gluten free almond meal flour or grind your own almonds finely, sift and regrind
- 4 large eggs, separated, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons local honey
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or dairy free alternative, room temp
- 1/2 cup Stevia Baking Blend or sugar free sweetener of choice, or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 11/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray a 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray and dust with tapioca flour.
- Beat the butter, honey and sweetener of choice in a large mixing bowl of a stand mixer on medium speed until light and creamy. Add the 4 egg yolks, one at a time, mixing between each egg. Add the almond meal flour, baking powder, salt, vanilla, almond extract and beat on low for a minute or two until well combined.
- Remove bowl and replace with a smaller mixing bowl, beat the egg whites and a pinch of salt with the whisk attachment on your stand mixer on high speed until very foamy, white and doubled in volume, but not quite stiff enough to hold peaks.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the egg whites into the flour mixture until just combined. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake the cake until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Double the recipe for a two layer cake.
- Cool on a rack, remove springform and enjoy!