I thought I'd eaten every cookie on the planet but I'd missed this one!
I love the sweet chewiness and honestly, I wanted to eat all of them or stuff them in my pockets and take them home.
After that, I had a few commercially made macaroons, but none ever lived up to my first homemade one.
Until I made these...
Gorgeous Gluten Free Coconut Macaroons
Makes two dozen cookies
- 2 1/2 cups gluten free unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup organic granulated cane sugar- For a Sugar Free option see recipe below*
- 5 tablespoons plain Fat Free Greek yogurt- here's my recipe
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons gluten free pure vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 6 medium organic egg whites, beaten (Or 4 extra large egg whites)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- In the large bowl of your mixer, beat together the coconut, sugar, yogurt, coconut oil, vanilla and almond extract with the paddle attachment. Beat just until mixture is well incorporated and resembles a dough.
- Remove large bowl and replace with a clean small bowl for the egg whites.
- Whip the egg whites and salt on medium high speed with the whisk attachment until you get peaks.
- Carefully fold the egg whites into the coconut mixture. Don't mix too long.
- Refrigerate for 10 minutes
- Drop the batter onto cookie sheet lined with parchment paper using either a small cookie scoop, or generously mounded teaspoon full.
- Bake for apx 25 or until golden brown. Cool and serve.
You could try Erythritol too, of course, but I haven't used it yet. Let me know how you make them and I'll add it to the recipe!