Usually I prefer to bake without grains or sugar, but this time I followed my old recipe and substituted the flour with a simple gluten free flour mix without xanthan gum. Let me just say for the record- I didn't think they would work! O ye, of little faith.. :)
I've been studying how to use ratio's and grams instead of cups in order to make better gluten free baked goods. My results and feelings are mixed. I can't say that using ratio's or baking with measurements has improved my baking results enough to be worth the trouble, I actually ruined a few things, and it hurts my brain trying to figure it all out, but today I decided to give it one more try.
Xanthan gum is another big challenge. Xanthan and guar gums are what most gluten free bakers use to replace the gluten and "hold/glue" their baked goods together. I finally figured out that even though my baked goods are completely gluten free the xanthan gum was still hurting my tummy.
You can see more recipes in the xanthan free category!
So with this recipe I used some ratios, grams and measurements and removed the xanthan gum...drum roll please....It's a miracle! They are just what I wanted. So have a little faith darlings, baking is fun if you do.
Enjoy your Big Soft Gluten Free Molasses cookie! What are you wishing for?
Linked to Foodie Friends Friday and Allergy Free Wednesdays
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, I may be compensated for purchases made through these links. For more information, click here.
- 2 cups (240 grams) of gluten free all purpose flour* (without xanthan or guar gum) see below
- 1 cup (120 grams) of gluten free Sorghum flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup butter, still cold but not hard
- 1/2 cup organic molasses
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten lightly
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flours and salt. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or two knives until mealy.
- In another bowl, whisk to combine molasses and sugar, then beat in the egg.
- Dissolve the soda in the 1/4 cup of hot water and add to the molasses mixture.
- Gradually stir the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients, beat by hand until well blended. The dough should be very thick and sticky. Add a tablespoon of water/to thin or flour/to thicken at a time if needed
- Chill for an hour in the fridge
- Preheat Oven to 375 degrees
- With a small ice cream scoop or teaspoon place cookies an inch apart to allow for spreading on a greased or parchment lined cookie sheet. I used a flat bottomed glass sprayed with cooking spray to flatten them a bit.
- Bake for 8 minutes or until just firm
- Cool and enjoy.
*Gluten Free All purpose Flour
1 1/4 C (170 g) brown rice flour
1 1/4 C (205 g) white rice flour
1 C (120 g) tapioca flour
1 C (165 g) sweet rice flour