Normally I make sausage gravy with milk and our Favorite Low Carb Biscuits, or I in the past I used my Hamburger buns like you see in the picture above when I have them on hand. (of course they're not low carb, but really good too)
This time I tried making the gravy with coconut milk. I had a coupon and decided to try using So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk. It has a nice mild flavor and is fairly thick. I loved it! The addition of the herbs helps mask any slight coconut flavor too.
Makes 4 servings
Gluten Free Biscuits & Sausage Gravy, GF, DF, SF, grain free option
- 1 pound gluten free uncased Country style sausage. I like Aldi's brand
- 2-4 tablespoons arrowroot starch or non GMO cornstarch (you can also use tapioca starch)
- 2 cups milk, like So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk for low carb
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds, opt
- 1/4 teaspoon sage, opt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne, opt
- salt and ground pepper to taste
- In a large cast iron fry pan, break up your sausage and saute on medium until browned. Strain off most of the grease, leaving only a tablespoon or so with the sausage
- Reduce the heat a little. Sprinkle the arrowroot, cornstarch or tapioca starch over the meat and stir while cooking for a minute.
- Add the milk a little at a time, scraping up all the browned bits and stirring well until you have a nice thick sauce. Add the herbs and spices and stir.
- Simmer, stirring for a few minutes more. I like to be sure the sausage is completely cooked and all the flavors have time to combine. Add more starch to thicken or milk to thin if needed.
- Serve over biscuits