Above the sauce is smooth and almost done but is still too thick and needs another ladle of milk.
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 5 tablespoons of Gluten Free Glutinous (Sweet) Rice Flour
- 2 1/2- 3 cups of 2 % milk or dairy free milk of your choice
- Salt, pepper
- Spices of your choice. We like a little minced roasted garlic mixed in
- Parmesan or Cheddar cheese-optional (or try Goat cheese for a dairy free option)
- Melt the butter in a large heavy sauce pan or cast iron skillet over medium heat
- Sprinkle in the flour over the butter and whisk until incorporated and the roux starts to bubble
- Add a ladle of milk and whisk quickly to blend and smooth. Cook for a few minutes until the sauce thickens and then adding a ladle at a time, continue to whisk, simmer and thicken before you add more.
- Keep cooking and whisking until you have a smooth but not runny texture when finished. Now you can add cheese, spices etc. Use your sauce in any recipe that calls for a white sauce, like pasta, casseroles, meat pies or gravy!