Chicken & Quinoa Cabbage Patch Soup, GF, DF, low carb -try it with my Really Good Paleo Bread. Or my new Paleo French Bread Baguette
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 stalks celery with leaves, chopped
- 1/2 small cabbage, sliced thin
- 2 large chicken breasts with skin and bone, rubbed with McCormicks Steak Seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free Quinoa
- 5 cups homemade or gluten free low sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 bottle Stubb's Chicken Marinade or gluten free seasonings of choice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large cast iron fry pan to medium high, add 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Brown the chicken, turning as needed.
- Cover, reduce heat and continue cooking just until no longer pink inside. Don't overcook.
- Remove the chicken when done, set aside and drain the fat. Add 1/2 cup water to the warm pan and scrape up all the brown bits. Add to soup pot.
- While the chicken is cooking, add the remaining olive oil to a large soup pot and heat to medium.
- Add the onion, carrot and celery and saute for a 5 minutes, stirring as needed. Reduce the heat if onion is getting brown. Add garlic and saute for a minute or two.
- Add cabbage and saute for a few minutes.
- Add Quinoa and chicken stock and stir. Cover and let simmer until the chicken is done.
- Cut most of the chicken meat from the bone into large cubes. Add cubes and bones to the soup pot.
- Simmer covered until the Quinoa is fluffy/done and the soup thickens. Add more water if needed/desired. Season to taste. Remove the bones and serve.