|Chicken & Kale Tortilla Soup|
There's nothing like the smell of a pot of soup full of healthy vegetables and chicken to make you feel cozy.
I made my own gluten free tortilla strips for this soup by dry frying strips of gluten free corn tortillas for a few minutes until lightly brown. I sprinkle them on top of the soup just before serving or you could use corn chips instead.
The tortillas soak up all of the delicious broth and really make this soup a meal that your family will ask for over and over!
Gluten Free Chicken & Kale Tortilla Soup, make it in the Crockpot or on the Stove!
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4-5 skinless organic chicken thighs, or 1/2 a leftover roasted chicken works great for stove top soup.
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 2-3 cups Kale, remove the ribs and chop, opt. I also have used 3 zucchini's, diced
- 14.5 ounce can stewed tomatoes with juice or a jar of gluten free salsa
- 5 cups of gluten free low sodium chicken broth
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon gluten free cayenne pepper
- 4 teaspoons gluten free cumin, to taste. I taste and add more if needed as the soup cooks.
- 1 teaspoon gluten free chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- dash of lime juice
- 1 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- tortilla chips
- sharp cheddar,shredded, opt
Instructions: for Crockpot
- Season thighs with salt and pepper
- In a heavy cast iron skillet on medium high, brown thighs in two tablespoons of the olive oil. Remove and set aside.
- If you are using the chicken in the Crockpot they don't need to be completely cooked through. They will continue cooking. I leave them whole while it cooks and remove and chop when the soup is done.
- Wash, peel and chop your veggies.
- Add a little more olive oil, if needed to the skillet on medium heat, saute the onion for a minute, add the carrot and celery and continue sauteing for a few minutes more.
- Add garlic to skillet and saute for a minute. Careful not to burn. Remove the veggies and add to the Crockpot.
- Drain the grease from your skillet. Add a little water to your pan and scrape up the bits and add it all to the Crockpot.
- Add your spices, to taste, to the Crockpot and stir into the veggies. Depending on the strength of your spices, start with a little and add more as it cooks.
- Add the Kale, stewed tomatoes, broth and beans to your pot.
- Add the chicken thighs. Cook on low for 5-6 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours or until veggies and chicken are done.
- Remove thighs and chop. Return to Crockpot and stir. Taste and adjust for seasonings.
- Season thighs with salt and pepper.
- In a large heavy Stove top soup pot on medium high, brown thighs in two tablespoons of the olive oil. Cook until the thigh juices run clear. Remove and set aside. Chop when cooled a little.
- Or you can use leftover roasted chicken for a fast & easy 30 minute dinner. I skin and bone the roasted chicken's thighs, legs and a breast.
- Wash, peel and chop your veggies.
- Add a little more olive oil, if needed to the soup pot on medium heat, saute the onion for a minute, add the carrot and celery and continue sauteing for 5 minutes more.
- Add garlic to soup pot and saute for a minute. Careful not to burn. Drain the grease.
- Add the Kale to your soup pot if using.
- Add your spices, to taste and stir into the veggies.
- Add the stewed tomatoes or salsa, broth and beans to your pot. Stir well and scrape up the bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Simmer the soup covered for 15 minutes stirring occasionally. Add chicken and more spices if needed, cook an additional 15 minutes uncovered or until veggies are done. Taste and adjust for salt and pepper
Shredded cheese (I use low fat cheddar)
sour cream or plain yogurt