Recently I started cooking for a local children's home and I was thrilled to see a big bag of fresh organic green beans in the box.
My daughter and grandchildren have always adored this recipe and it was a perfect side dish to my Chicken & Apple meatloaf and Creamy mashed potatoes.
My husband raved about these green beans for days afterwards. They're really that good and so easy to make!
Skillet fresh green beans with bacon recipe, gluten free
- 4 slices of gluten free bacon or 1 tablespoon bacon grease (from a previous batch)
- 2 pounds fresh organic green beans, snap stem ends off
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 1 1/2-2 cups homemade or low sodium gluten free chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped red or green bell pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Ground black pepper
- Wash, dry and snap the stem ends of the green beans
- Cook bacon in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove cooked bacon and keep the grease in the pan. Or if you save bacon grease in the fridge like I do, use 1 tablespoon instead.
- Add the garlic and onions and cook for a minute, careful not to burn. Then add the green beans and cook until the beans turn bright green, about a minute or two.
- Add the chicken broth, chopped pepper, salt and pepper to taste.
- Turn the heat to low and cover the skillet with a lid, leaving the lid cracked to allow steam to escape.
- Cook until the liquid mostly evaporates and the beans are fairly soft, yet still a little crisp, 20 to 30 minutes. You can add more chicken broth during the cooking process if needed. Sprinkle with crumbled bacon, if using and serve