Lightly sweet with a hint of orange makes this bread perfect for any meal or snack. It's wonderful with a bit of honey or jam too.
Orange Zucchini Bread, gluten free, dairy free
Adapted from the dairy-free & gluten-free kitchen
11/20/13 Revised this recipe to make it more moist.
Makes 2 loaves
3 cups gluten free brown rice flour (Flour substitutions below)
1 cup gluten free tapioca starch
4 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum or psyllium husks
2 medium organic eggs
1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice or almond milk
1 1/2 cups organic cane brown sugar or 1 cup local honey
zest of one organic orange, opt
1 tablespoon gluten free pure vanilla extract
2 teaspoons gluten free cinnamon
4 cups organic zucchini, shredded and water squeezed out
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray or oil and flour two medium 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch loaf pans
- Combine the flours, baking powder, xanthan gum or psyllium husks and salt in a bowl. Add zest if using, stir and set aside.
- In the large bowl of your mixer, whisk the eggs and honey together.
- Stir the flour mixture into the egg mixture and beat for several minutes.
- Grate the zucchini on several layers of paper towels and squeeze out moisture. Add the zucchini to the egg mixture and fold/stir by hand to blend.
- Pour into prepared pans and smooth the top
- Bake 45 minutes or until brown and a toothpick comes out mostly clean.
- Cool on rack.
- Wrap in plastic wrap when completely cool. Can be kept on the counter for one to two days. For longer storage refrigerate or freeze.
Flour substitutions: Use 4 cups of your favorite gluten free flour mix instead of individual flours and tapioca starch. Omit xanthan/psyllium in recipe if included in mix.
Or if you don't need gluten free use 4 cups of "regular" flour blend of choice instead of gluten free flours and tapioca starch. Omit xanthan gum completely.