Space Girl Organics generously provided me with lots of fruits and vegetables to use in my cooking.
I joked with SGO friends that I felt like I was on an episode of Chopped! I had all this great organic food but now what can I make out of it? In the end, I made some fun new recipes and I'll be posting what I made for the family soon. So stay tuned!
Here's the recipe for plum sauce and how I used it in my coconut ice cream. This ice cream is a smooth and luscious dairy free desert!
Plum Coconut Ice Cream
- 2 cups cold Silk Coconut milk beverage
- 1 can cold organic unsweetened coconut milk. I used Native Forest
- 1 cup cold homemade plum sauce
- 1/4 cup local honey, to taste
- 1 stopper full of vanilla liquid stevia or 1/4 teaspoon pure stevia extract, to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon guar gum or xanthan gum
- 1 tablespoon vodka, this keeps the ice cream softer
- Combine the coconut milk, coconut beverage, sugar, guar gum, vodka and salt in a blender. Cover and blend for 2 minutes.
- Add the cold fruit sauce and blend for another minute.
- Pour into ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer's directions.
To store, transfer to a plastic container with a tight fitting lid. Place plastic wrap on top of the ice cream, cover and freeze. To serve allow to thaw slightly or microwave for one minute
This recipe makes a great sauce for ice cream, smoothies or meats. With the addition of spices you can easily make this into a great Asian Pork sauce too.
- 8 cups or 3 pounds peeled organic plums, pitted and chopped (see instructions below)
- filtered water to barely cover
- 1/2 cup local honey
- fresh lemon juice-opt
- To remove the skins- In a large pot, bring whole plums covered in water just to a boil, remove from heat, fill pot with ice.
- Take out the plums, empty the water and slip skins from plums. Cut plums in half and seed.
- Return plums to the pot and add just enough filtered water to cover.
- Add honey and bring to a low boil stirring often
- Simmer until the fruit has completely cooked down and thickened. Add more water as needed. Sweeten to taste.
- Use in coconut ice cream recipe when cooled. Put the rest into tightly covered tupperware in fridge or freezer for longer storage.