In my box I had fennel, carrots, red potatoes, tomatillos, onions, kale and lots of squash and fruit. I made this wonderful soup, Paleo Squash bread, Apple Stuffed Squash, brown rice and raw cut up fresh fruit and veggies for them.
I adore fennel and it's great with the sausage in this soup. The flavors are deep and rich, but mild enough for children. I didn't really know what to do with the tomatillos, but they just blended right in. I think anything you have on hand would work just as well. That's the fun of making soup!
- 1 lb organic sausage links, chopped
- 2-3 cups leftover organic chicken, shredded
- 6 organic carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large organic fennel bulb with stalk and leaves, cleaned, diced
- minced onion or garlic, to taste
- 4 organic red potatoes, diced
- 3 cups organic kale, chopped
- 3 organic tomatillos, chopped
- 6 cups organic or homemade chicken stock
- 3 cups filtered water, as needed
- 1 tablespoon Organic olive oil for the pan
- 1 teaspoon gluten free italian herb mix or spices of choice, to taste, opt
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- In a large pot on medium heat, saute the sausage in olive oil until browned. Add garlic/onion, to taste. Add carrots, fennel, potatoes, kale and tomatillos, saute for 5 minutes more, stirring often.
- Add stock to pot and stir up all the brown bits off of the bottom of the pan. Add spices and water as needed during cooking to cover the veggies.
- Simmer soup for 20-30 minutes or until veggies are tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.