I'm a firm believer in feeding your kids greens early on, and I love kale, but I worried that it would be too tough or bitter for the little kids.
So, I softened it with rubbing and made a honey lemon dressing to make it more kid friendly. I love the softer texture and the honey, lemon and ginger remove any bitterness. I think it's the perfect salad and will be making it again for the holidays! Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
- One large head of organic kale, chopped, ribs removed
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, for rubbing the kale
- 3 organic pears, diced
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped or roasted sunflower seeds would be good too
- One whole organic lemon, juiced
- 3 tablespoons local honey
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely grated
- Wash kale, pat dry, tear out and discard the tough middle ribs. Chop the kale, add to a large bowl and sprinkle with salt.
- Rub the salt into the kale with your hands until softened and slightly wilted.
- Add fruit and nuts and toss with dressing.