Makes one 10 inch deep dish pie
- 2 3/4 cups cooked organic pumpkin or winter squash, mashed
- 1 can (12 fluid ounces) organic evaporated milk
- 2 organic medium eggs
- 3/4 cup packed organic brown cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons gluten free cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon gluten free ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Instructions: Assemble tools, a large baking sheet, 10 inch deep dish pie pan, a potato masher and a blender
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Making Roasted Squash:
- Place seeded and halved squash, or if your squash is very large, quartered pieces on a large rimmed baking sheet and sprinkle with olive oil. Bake for apx 40-45 minutes, depending on size and type of squash or until soft.
- I used a small pie pumpkin, 2 large acorn squash and a butternut squash. I had enough mashed squash for 2 large pies.
- Cool and scrape out the flesh from the skin into a large bowl. Discard skin. Mash flesh.
Making pie filling and baking pie:
- In a large blender add all filling ingredients and blend until just thick and smooth.
- Pour into prepared unbaked pie crust. Cover crust edge with pie shields or aluminum foil strips. Put your pie on a large baking sheet.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes with shields on.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for 30-40 minutes more or until a knife comes out clean. Remove pie shields in last 15 minutes. Cool on rack.