I'm crazy about rich fragrant shortbread made with organic butter, a little cane sugar and the organic lemons that I got in my box from Space Girl Organics. These are wonderful Christmas cookies to box up for friends and family. I'll also add my Russian Tea Cakes, Gingerbread Men, Spritz and my favorite fudge that I'll be posting soon! Merry Christmas!
- 1/3 cup cane sugar or sweetener of choice
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) organic butter, room temp or for vegan use Earth Balance
- 1 teaspoon gluten free pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (zest of one lemon)
- 1 teaspoon psyllium husks, opt. or binder of choice like guar gum or xanthan gum.
- 1 cup Almond Meal Flour or Brown Rice flour
- 1/2 cup Mochiko sweet rice flour
- 3/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- In a large bowl whisk together the almond meal flour, sweet rice flour, tapioca and salt. Set aside.
- In your food processor, add the sugar alone and process for a minute. Add the butter and pulse a few times until it becomes creamy.
- Add the vanilla, lemon zest and psyllium husks and pulse to combine.
- Add the flour mix and run just until the dough comes together. If you don't have a food processor you can do this by hand. Use a heavy wooden spoon to stir in a large bowl and use your hands for a minute at the end to bring the dough together.
- Turn out the dough and press into a greased 9x13 pan or roll out to apx 1/2 inch on a well greased or parchment lined baking sheet. Prick dough with a fork.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the edges are lightly brown and cookies are firm but not hard.
- While still on the pan and warm, sprinkle with sugar, cut into 36-40 even cookies, using a sharp knife or pizza cutter.
- Cool and remove with a spatula.