|Red Velvet Mousse Cake, gluten free, grain free, organic with beets|
Update! I made my cake without almond flour to keep it lower in calories. Out of the oven it was very soft but after refrigerating overnight the cake becomes firmer and fudgy. The texture is great and I'm thrilled with it. This ones a keeper.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, I may be compensated for purchases made through these links. For more information, click here.
Makes one 8 inch cake
- 2 cups (4 small) organic beets, peeled and grated
- 1 cup organic raisins or dates
- 1/2 cup water, during cooking add a tiny bit more if needed
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid Stevia
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground espresso
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- dash sea salt
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2-3/4 cup Bob's Red Mill Almond Meal Flour, opt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Grease and flour a 8 inch cake pan or grease cake pan, line with parchment paper and grease paper.
- In a covered saucepan, simmer the beets, raisins and water until tender. Cool for 10-15 minutes.
- In a large blender add the beet mixture and the coconut oil. Puree until smooth.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until fully incorporated. Batter should be thick but pourable.
- Add almond flour in 1/4 cup increments to thicken batter if you desire a cake texture and mix well.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until a stick comes out mostly clean.
- Cool on a rack.