|Skinny Ginger Rhubarb Cake, gluten free, grain free|
This tender Gluten Free and Grain Free Cake is made with rhubarb, ginger and orange. It goes perfectly with a cup of Chai tea! I eat it warmed up the next morning with my homemade Greek yogurt for breakfast or at night with a scoop of frozen yogurt. The flavors get stronger when it sits overnight and it's awesome. It's made with a single economical flour that's organic, grain free and high in protein!
I was so excited to get rhubarb in my box from Space Girl Organics. I couldn't wait to make it into a new recipe. If you can't have legumes then try using your rhubarb in my families favorite Millet Cake. I think it would be great with strawberries too!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, I may be compensated for purchases made through these links. For more information, click here.
- 1/3 cup butter, room temp
- 1/2-3/4 cup local honey or erythritol (plus a few teaspoons to sprinkle on top) I used 1/2 cup but if you like a sweeter cake feel free to add more.
- 2 large eggs, room temp
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon fresh organic ginger, minced or 1/4 teaspoon McCormicks Ground Ginger
- Zest of 1/2 organic orange
- 1/2 cup milk + 1 teaspoon organic apple cider vinegar, set aside to curdle
- 1 1/2 cups(3-4 stalks) organic rhubarb, diced
- 2 cups Bob's Red Mill Garbanzo Bean Flour
- 1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon psyllium husks
- dash salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F/180 C
- In the large bowl of your mixer, cream the butter and honey until pale and fluffy. Mixing on low, add one egg at a time. Stir in vanilla, ginger and orange zest. Add curdled milk and stir.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and psyllium husks. With the mixer running on medium, slowly add the flour to the wet ingredients.
- Stir in rhubarb until combined.
- Pour into greased or parchment lined springform pan. Smooth and sprinkle top with sugar.
- Bake for 60-65 minutes or until golden brown and stick comes out clean.
- Let cool and store in a covered container in the refrigerator. We like it best warmed up the next day.