|Light and Fluffy Low Carb & Gluten Free Dumplings!|
What a thrill these dumplings gave me! Sometimes you just have to go for it, even if you don't think a recipe will work. I gotta tell you, I was not expecting these Gluten Free and Low Carb Dumplings to turn out so darn perfect! here's what I did...
|It's as simple as gently mixing the flour with the liquids|
|The dumpling dough will be thick and sticky|
|Now drop onto gently boiling Chicken Stew with a spoon or cookie scoop|
|I keep the pot lid cracked just a bit. See that golden color? That's the turmeric.|
|And here they are! Light and Fluffy Low Carb Gluten Free Dumplings!|
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, I may be compensated for purchases made through these links. For more information, click here.
Makes 6-8 servings
- 3-4 pounds of cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 5 stalks celery, chopped
- 5 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- a tiny nub (apx 1/4 teaspoon) fresh turmeric, minced
- 1 teaspoon gluten free seasonings mix. My mix includes sea salt, rosemary, parsley, oregano, basil, mint, sage and thyme, or use what you have on hand, to taste
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 8-9 cups gluten free chicken broth
- 1/2 cup milk or cream or dairy free alternative
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, if desired
Dumplings: This recipe can be doubled. Use a large pot with enough surface if you do.
- 1 1/4 cups Bob's Red Mill Garbanzo Bean Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon psyllium husks
- 2/3 cup milk or dairy free alternative + 1 teaspoon Organic apple cider vinegar, set aside to curdle
I roasted a whole 5 pound chicken the day before. We had some for dinner (there's only two of us) and then cleaned the rest of the chicken off the bones. So I'm guessing we had about 3 1/2 pounds leftover. I simmered the bones, some skin and the veggie peelings in 10 cups of water for several hours and then strained out the bones and peels. Refrigerate the broth and chicken separately overnight. Remove the fat from the broth and shred the chicken the next day. Now you have the chicken and broth for your Chicken and Dumplings.
- In a large heavy soup pot, add olive oil and butter, heat to medium.
- Add onion, carrots, celery and saute, stirring for 3-4 minutes or until you start to get a little color on the veggies and the bottom of the pan. Add the turmeric and spices and cook for a minute more.
- Deglaze the pan with the chicken stock, scraping up all the brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Taste and check the seasonings, adding more salt and pepper if needed.
- Add the shredded chicken to the pot and turn the heat up to bring the broth to a low boil. Add cream and stir.
- In a bowl, stir the dumpling flour ingredients together and add the milk, combine gently.
- Drop the dumplings on the simmering stew using a spoon or small cookie scoop. Careful not to crowd. Use a pot that has plenty of surface room.
- Cover pot with lid slightly askew and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- If you want your stew thicker, remove dumplings and add cornstarch mixed with a little water, simmer to thicken.