|Organic Cilantro Pico De Gallo with cucumbers|
Pico De Gallo or Mexican Sauce has always been one of my favorites. I don't know why I didn't think to make it at home sooner. When made at home you can make it organic, naturally gluten free and it's so good that I eat it out of the bowl with a spoon!
In the past I would buy Cilantro and it would go slimy before I used it up. Now I can extend the life by wrapping the bunch of Cilantro in paper towels and storing in a tied bag in the veggie drawer. After a few days, I change the paper towel and pull off any bits that are starting to go bad. Then when I get down to the last leaves, I wash them, remove the stems and put them in ice cube trays covered with a little water. Once frozen just pop out and put in a labeled baggie. I love using the cubes in soups and sauces!
- 2 medium organic tomatoes, diced
- 1 small bunch, apx 1 cup, organic cilantro, stems removed, chopped finely
- 1/2 organic onion, diced
- 1/2 organic green pepper, diced
- 1/2 large organic cucumber, diced
- 2 organic green onions, chopped
- 1 clove organic garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons lime juice, to taste
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Several dashes of gluten free hot sauce like Tabasco, to taste
- 1 jalapeno, seeded, diced, opt
- 1 avocado, diced, opt
- Wash and dice vegetables, mix with lime juice, Tabasco and salt and pepper to taste. Chill to combine flavors. Serve with organic tortilla chips.