When I was asked to make a recipe from Gluten-Free Glutino Cookies I knew I wanted to make something special for them, but it takes an "AHA" moment to figure out what to make! My inspiration for this gluten free Apple Crisp came to me when I found 2 lovely little sweet potatoes and a few apples in the pantry.....
This is a promotional post for Walmart and Glutino on behalf of Sverve. I was compensated for this post but all opinions are 100% my own and I would not recommend a product unless I could honestly say I liked it.
I love apples and sweet potatoes, so I thought, why not combine the two? And use the gluten-free Vanilla Creme Glutino's cookies for the topping! Now that sounds exciting doesn't it?
Glutino's Vanilla Creme cookies are so fresh and crisp that it's hard not to pop one in your mouth. I opened the bag and ate two before I could get them in the food processor!
The cookie creme filling gives the topping just enough sweetness, flavor and texture. No need for gluten free oatmeal, flours or lots of additional butter and sugar.
I just pulsed the cookies in the food processor with 2 tablespoons of butter until combined, added nuts and cinnamon and spread it all out over the filling. So easy and fast!
Now just bake until bubbly and brown. I put foil over my crisp after 20 minutes so it wouldn't get too brown.
It smelled so good I could hardly wait to try it. I love the lightly sweetened sauce flavored with the apples and tender sweet potatoes and the cookies made a beautiful crisp topping that tastes even better than a standard crisp recipe.
Walmart has an incredible selection of gluten-free products to choose from. Find your Walmart location here.
Don't forget to pop back to my original Walmart Gluten Free Event post and grab your $1.00 off Glutino Cookie Coupon!
- 2 (2 1/2 cups) sweet potatoes, peeled, sliced
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/3 cup cane sugar
- 4 organic apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 package (2 1/2 cups after processing) Glutino Gluten-Free Vanilla Creme Cookies
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts of choice, I used walnuts
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons gluten free cinnamon plus extra for the fruit layer
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter sides and bottom of 8x12 baking dish.
- Add water and sugar to a medium saucepan and stir. Turn on medium heat. Wash and peel sweet potatoes, cut each potato in half lengthwise and then slice into 1/2 inch thick slices. Add sweet potatoes to the pan of water and bring to a gentle boil. Cook for apx 10 minutes or until liquid is reduced and potatoes are just tender.
- While the sweet potatoes cook, prepare apples. Wash, peel, cut in fourths and core. Chop into 1/2 inch thick slices. Toss in a bowl with lemon juice and cover.
- In a food processor, add the cookies, butter and cinnamon. Pulse until mealy and combined.
- Drain the sweet potatoes when ready, reserving 1 cup of liquid. Add apples and sweet potatoes to the greased dish. Pour reserved liquid over. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Top with cookie mixture and distribute evenly. Don't press down.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly, browned and the sweet potatoes and apples are soft. Cover with foil in the last 10 minutes to avoid over browning.
- Serve warm or cold with whipped cream or ice cream.
Note: to reduce calories, remove half of the cookie's creme filling before processing to crumbs.