Note: Chia or flax seed are the secret to the moistness so feel free to play with the other whole grains or starches, but I do recommend using chia or flax for best results. For lower carbs you can try subbing the brown rice or millet with ground nut flour. Just like my popular Chia Bread recipe I think it could be very forgiving and adaptable! Enjoy
Heavenly Yeast Free Brown Bread, gluten free, sugar free, xanthan gum free
Dry Ingredients: whisk together
- 1 cup (160 g) Bob's Red Mill gluten free brown rice flour or oat flour
- 2/3 cup + 3 tablespoons (65 g) gluten-free chia or flax seed, ground to flour
- 2/3 cup (103 g) gluten free millet, ground to flour
- 2 cups (226 g) gluten-free tapioca flour or arrowroot flour
- 4 tablespoons (18 g) gluten free psyllium husks, ground
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup Truvia or equivalent sweetener of choice, opt
- 1 cup milk mixed with 3 teaspoons organic apple cider vinegar-set aside to curdle
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 3/4 cup organic coconut oil
- 1/2 cup local honey
- 1/2 cup raisins, chopped, opt
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F/190 C. Grease cast iron skillet with butter and set in oven to heat.
- In a food processor or large bowl, combine the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients until fully incorporated. Don't overmix or knead. Dough should be sticky but manageable when picked up to form. If it's too thin, add a tablespoon more rice or oat flour at a time to thicken.
- With your hands, gather up the dough and pat into a round loaf. Set loaf in the hot skillet carefully and press down lightly. Score with a sharp knife.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until bread reaches 190-195 degrees internally.
- Cool on rack. Store covered on the counter for 2-3 days.